Caged Bird, Caged Lives

Only 38 pages in, I can already tell that I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou will not be a disappointment despite the tedious title. I like how Angelou is able to craft her story about growing up as a black girl in the South without being cliché. She establishes a personal connection to her readers with a casual but genuine tone. To be honest, most of the language Angelou uses is rough, but she occasionally tucks tidbits of beautiful writing in. These nuggets are like the precious but fleeting moments in life that keep us going. I appreciate how she doesn’t over-emphasize the discrimination that her family encountered. Rather, she seems to take on a matter-of-fact tone when describing the discrimination, showing that it’s very common in her daily life. Her subtlety and attitude in conveying this aspect creates a great effect. Despite the fact that the story is about a black girl in the South during the Great Depression, Angelou helps readers with different backgrounds connect back to the story by maintaining the importance of family. She describes Bailey as the perfect brother that she was lucky to have, but also addresses the flaws that come with living with her grandmother. At the end of the day, she can always depend on her family to help pull through hard times.

However, I don’t like how Angelou introduces many characters and nuances to her story immediately because that can be overwhelming. Her unique diction can be difficult to follow, especially because this book has been around since the late 1960s, but I’ll just take it as a brain exercise. Sometimes, the plot moves slowly and it can be difficult to stay focused, and I have to remind myself that patience is key. Then again, I’ve only read a little bit and I’m sure that the story is going to unravel in a great way.